Responsive Search Ads is Google’s newest advertising format for text ads. With RSAs you can specify up to 15 different headers and up to 4 different description lines. Google still shows a maximum of 3 headers and 2 description texts on the results page (SERP). However, by specifying multiple headers and description lines you enable Google to display the best combination for each context, based on machine learning. As is the case with the latest ETA format, the headlines contain a maximum of 30 characters and the description line has a maximum of 90 characters.
To prevent important elements from not being shown, you can pin headlines and descriptions to specific positions. This allows you to determine where individual headers and description lines will be displayed.
RSA in ADchieve
When RSAs have been made available in your account, you’ll be given the option to choose ETAs or RSAs in a text macro under Ad settings.
- Make sure that you pin the most important messages and keywords to the right places. The relevance of the ad must not be lost.
- Create many different headers and descriptions to enable Google to compare the various versions in tests. Use different USPs, call-to-actions and features in order to do so.
- Previous research has shown that RSAs significantly improve CTRs, but can also reduce conversion rates. For example, adding a call-to-action within an ad often increases the conversion rate and lowers the CTR. If people don’t want to take action, they might not click on the ad, which will lower the CTR. At the same time, reading and clicking a call-to-action can make a user more prone to purchasing something immediately, which in turn will increase the conversion rate.
Take the following into account:
- Responsive Search Ads can only be added to ad groups with existing text ads.
- Google will not always display the third headline and second description line. This depends on the user’s screen size and the content of the SERP. In addition, the order is random, so make sure that they have meaning both individually and when they are combined.
- Since RSAs have not yet been made available to every advertiser, the option to apply them isn’t visible by default in ADchieve. If you want to make use of them, please get in touch with your contact person at ADchieve. We’d be happy to help you further!